Students from the European Economic Area (EEA)

Students from EU/EEA countries must have health insurance coverage from their home country. Expenses related to dental care and illnesses contracted before arrival in Norway are not covered.

  • The European Health Insurance Card documents that you are entitled to necessary medical treatment during temporary stays in other EEA countries or in Switzerland.
  • You are entitled to treatment on a par with the citizens of the country where you are staying.
  • If you decide to use private health insurance you have to check with your insurance office as to whether your coverage applies to Norway.
  • You must bring the European Health Insurance Card or documentation of private health insurance when you enter Norway.

For further information about the correct card/form please check with the nearest health authority office in your home country.

Read more about the European Health Insurance Card on the European Commission's website.

Students from countries outside the European Economic Area

Exchange students from other parts of the world should be covered by insurance from their home countries in order to be reimbursed when obtaining services from the Norwegian National Health Scheme. However, as a student in Norway you may also apply for voluntary membership in the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme on arrival in Norway. More information about the Norwegian National Insurance Scheme

Staying in Norway between 3 and 12 months

  • If the duration of your stay in Norway is between 3 and 12 months you can apply for voluntary membership in the National Insurance Scheme.
  • You should fill in a special form entitling you to social security coverage (pdf) with regard to health services in accordance with the National Insurance Scheme.
  • The form must be sent to the insurance office in the municipality in which you are staying.

Staying in Norway for more than 1 year

  • If the duration of your stay in Norway is more than one year you automatically become insured under the National Insurance Scheme (nav.no) when you register as a resident in Norway with the National Registry (Skatt Midt).  

It is the student's responsibility to make insurance arrangements for any accident, illness, injury, loss or damage to persons or property resulting from, or in any way connected with, the study period in Norway. We recommend that all students staying more than one year also obtain insurance to protect them against any damage that may occur in the student residence.